TEMPE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
POSITION: PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Tempe Chamber President and Chief Executive Officer coordinates and implements the many activities of the Tempe Chamber of Commerce, working under board policy guidelines of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee. He or she coordinates/delegates the activities of many councils, committees and task forces and supervises the work of the staff of these various entities in the pursuit of the Chamber's objectives. As the chief staff officer, he or she may be called upon to represent the Chamber Board of Directors and Officers in contact with the membership, with outside individuals, public agencies and officials, various organizations, and groups, and with the public, all requiring judgment and tact to foster good community/chamber relations. The President and Chief Executive Officer reports to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Responsible for assuring that a membership recruitment and retention plan is in place. This may be accomplished by directing and participating in a sales program and working with the appropriate people to ensure adequate membership services.
• Acquaints himself or herself with as many members as possible, familiarity with their business goals and problems, for the purpose of maintaining good membership relations, stimulating communications within the business community, identifying common goals and problems to which the Tempe Chamber should address itself, and identifying people who may contribute time and resources to Tempe Chamber programs.
• Maintains current statistics and familiarity of the economy of the area, both inside and outside the Chamber membership.
• Cultivates good relationships with city, county, state and federal governments and their elected officials and staff.
• Maintains a high level of communication among the Tempe Chamber officers, directors, staff, committees, and members as well as between the Tempe Chamber and the public.
• Coordinates the activities of the Tempe Chamber committees, with the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, and provides necessary personnel and staff assistance.
• Oversees all staff activities of the Tempe Chamber including the hiring and termination of employees.
• Prepares and implements an annual budget for the Tempe Chamber and coordinates expenditures consistent with the budget.
• Reports to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, monthly, the status of the membership and finances.
• Informs the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of various problem areas and activities throughout the community that may affect the business sector.
• Oversees all Chamber publications.
• Other duties as may be required.
• A minimum of 10 years of successful experience in executive management and leadership positions within the private, public, or nonprofit sectors demonstrating progressively greater responsibility.
• Thorough understanding of the political environment of chambers, trade associations and the business community.
• Demonstrated leadership, decisiveness and foresight.
• Thorough knowledge of finance, economics, planning, management and/or competitive strategies, evidenced by applicable degree(s) and/or appropriate experience.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as strong public speaking ability.
• Balancing the financial needs of the organization
• Fundraising/Fund Development
• Event planning
• Politically astute
• Membership growth
• Cultivating relationships
• Bachelor's (Preferred)
• US Chamber Institute or WACE Academy Graduate (Preferred)
• Full-time, exempt
• Dental insurance
• Health insurance
• Life insurance
• Short- and long-term disability
• Paid time off
SALARY: $95,000 - $110,000 DOE
Resumes should be sen to email@example.com.